Saturday, March 6, 2010

Where is Kate Nash when you need her?

Perhaps my subconscious was asking me to mentally take note of the situations at hand instead of dwelling on the past tenses, or maybe I felt like third rate poetry could best describe my current thoughts. But seeing as how I'm not much of a poet and also a frequent flier in my past, I think the real reason for not posting a solid entry recently is simply because I don't have the right vocabulary to truly describe life-changing events properly. That, and new york is better seen through eyes then my solidary descriptives. But here I go again anyway.

I've made some very good friends here, now that it's been a month to date since I stepped into the city. Namely, Alfred the overly-chipper squirrel who wakes me up around 7 each morning to remind me about the bustling world outside. As if I couldve forgotten- this month alone will forever be imprinted upon my heart for the rest of my life.

There have been lots of extremes, goods and bads, calms and anxiety: but that's never seemed to stop me before. In fact, I'd like to think that I somehow thrive on extremes. I like to ride them out and guess where and when to balance. Like surfing. And also like surfing, I'm not very good at it- but what man IS truly good at completely balancing his life? It's a nice goal though. Also a good goal: Learning to surf.

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to audition at Mannes. And if I hadn't any plolite manners or regard for looking favorable to the auditioners, I would have stayed permanently on that stage and kept singing until dusk. I had forgotten the feelng of performing. Of e posing your heart, soul, and voice onstage so passionately that everything twirls around you in a flurry of stardust and magic, and you believe for a few minutes that there is nothing more important than saying the next words you are about to sing. It's beautiful. Breathtakingly beautiful. I deeply look forward to doing it again. And again. And again. And again.

The cold weather really isn't bad at all, you know. Even the slush is bearable with the proper shoes. I honestly don't find anything here that I don't like, except for the fact that itsrather far from my west coast upbringing and dear loved ones. I couldn't imaginemoving far away and leaving your family behind without skype around. I am truly a 21st century kid :).

Tomorrow is my favorite day of the week- so much joy, encouragement, renewal, and little crying newborns to nanny during the first church service. Oddly, I adore crying newborns. And these babies seem to like me back, so Im glad we make a good team.

Come to think of it though, I rather like my poetry. I suppose that's what really matters anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment